Contractors Legal Duties
What are the legal duties of Contractors?
The contractor has duties relating to Health & Safety issues. A contractor must:
- co-operate with the PSCS
- Provide any site specific information, including relevant extracts from their Safety Statement
- Promptly provide the PSCS with information required for the safety file
- Comply with directions of the project supervisors
- Report accidents to the Authority and to the PSCS where required by legislation. (Injuries involving absence for more than 3 consecutive days).
- Ensure that your employees comply with site rules and the safety and health plan.
- Carry out Risk Assessments, eliminate the hazards or reduce risks during construction
- Facilitate the site safety representative
- Ensure that all workers have a Safe Pass safety awareness card and a CSCS construction skills card where required.
- Ensure all workers attend a site specific induction
- Appoint a safety officer, in writing, where there more than 20 employed on site or 30 employed on a number of sites.
- Monitor Health & Safety procedures and take corrective action.